July 6, 2010

It's Begun

Well, it's a few days past my "official" beginning of back-to-school planning, but I did get some things done. Last night I took an inventory of things I need to purchase or make for next year.

I try to be as frugal as possible in my selection of where to buy school-related items. Sites/companies I order from are: Classroom Direct, a division of School Specialty, Really Good Stuff, and Carson Dellosa.  The stuff  I order online is usually nametags, bulletin board sets, games, and indoor recess activities.  Stores I peruse are Target, Dollar Tree, Five Below, and Big Lots.  I purchase baskets, books, wipes, desk supplies, post-its, thank-you cards, my personal planner, computer paper, etc.  The trick is to buy what you need when things are on sale (except Dollar Tree because the prices are the same all the time).  Check the fliers in your weekly Sunday paper or bookmark the sites to follow the ads online. 

Other places to consider when getting things for your room:
  • Library book sales (books, videos, books on tape, child-friendly music)
  • Yard sales (One of my colleagues has gotten everything from videos to storage furniture from her weekly yard sale trips!)
  • Flea markets
  • Goodwill/Salvation Army (I have gotten some neat baskets and pristine books for next to nothing!)
  • Freecycle (Check for availability in your area.  Last year I was given three Leap Pad learning systems, a carrying case, and nearly 20 game cartridges for my class.  ABSOLUTELY FREE!)
  • Neighbors, relatives, your church or place of worship (Don't be afraid to ask for things that may otherwise go to Goodwill or Salvation Army anyway.)
Another way to save a few dollars is to think outside the box for what you need.  For example, I use mailboxes to keep track of student papers and things to go home.  When I priced the mailboxes in the teacher catalogs, they were very pricey--up to $80 or more for cardboard!  I found a 25-cube shoe organizer at Target for about $30 on sale.  It's heavy and sturdy and has held on for the past few years.  I also use a wicker utensil caddy to organize pencils, pens, scissors, etc. on my desk.  (Sorry, couldn't find a pic of this one!) 

A final way to save money is to make things yourself.  There are many fonts and clip art images out there just waiting to be used to make signs or posters.  This can be extended further for classroom decorations.  Last year I changed to a safari theme and wanted curtains for my windows.  (My windows face the bus loop and playgrounds.  Needless to say, I wanted to cut down on distractions!)  The panels I wanted to cover my windows would have been close to $45, so I made my own.  I found some 84-inch beige-colored panels at Big Lots.  I cut them in half, hemmed them, and trimmed them in a giraffe-print ribbon I found at Jo Ann Fabrics.  Total cost: $20.

How about you?  Any money-saving tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews